Saturday, December 15, 2012

my first freelance writing

If you are keeping up with my facebook statuses I have been doing so freelance writing on the side. Ok so far I have done one article for the product Sukugo. Anyways I just finished and here it is:
Sukugo

Family Holiday Fun



Have you ever realized the true memory of the gifts you get on the holidays isn’t when you see them under the tree or even when you tear apart the wrapping paper but it is the time you spend after with the gift you have gotten? With clothing it’s when you wear it, whether you love the clothes or not, With the toys you got it’s the memories of playing with your friends and family, with food it’s either how sensational that high quality Swedish chocolate tasted or how you have to  feed the rest of that nasty burnt home fruitcake to the dumpster, and when it’s money you remember that with that $25 you bought a new CD you have been wanting for so long or a movie.

Because of this I have been on a mission to find a gift I can enjoy with friends and family. Something I can buy (really for myself) so that I can enjoy my time with my parents, brothers, grandmother, cousins and friends. I have looked all over, I looked at decorations for the house, movies that my entire family would enjoy together, food, recipes to attempt, a small trip somewhere (even if it is just to the zoo), but nothing came up that didn’t cost to much or that everyone would really enjoy. The only people who would appreciate decorations for the home would be my parents and myself, choosing a movie everyone likes is just down right impossible, and a small trip (no matter how small) is still pricy and food isn’t really that sentimental unless it’s made by my grandmother and it is her ice cream cake or my grandmother (not by birth) who makes these spectacular brownies that non can beat and my recipes are experiments that may or may not go wrong so why should I even attempt. Don’t be let down just yet because I finally have found what I have been looking for, Sukugo!

What is Sukugo? It is a Sudoku board game made to be shared and played in groups. Sukugo is litarly a board game shaped as a large Sudoku with two different shaped chips for the board. The Smaller chips represent what may fit in the specific spot and the large chips are the correct numbers that should be placed in a spot. For those who are unfamiliar with Sudoku, it is a brain puzzle square-shaped game, there are numbers placed randomly in the puzzle in each square (there are nine within a large square), and with those numbers permanently placed you need to figure out how to get all the rows, columns, and squares to have numbers one through nine written down. Usually you find Sudoku books being sold at gifts shops in the airport or in the puzzles section hidden away in a bookstore and it is made to be played alone when you can’t sleep, are board or are flying to the end of the world and back at least that’s when I usually play. I was just on a flight to Israel and finished an entire book of Sudoku. I love the game and I know many people who love it but sadly it is not a multi-player game. That is, it wasn’t a multi-player game until now. Now there is Sukugo, the multi-player version of Sudoku. A game I can enjoy with my little brother on Saturdays instead of playing monopoly, a game I can take to my grandmother’s when Lucy is there and actually playing Sudoku together rather than just sharing our Sudoku stories, or having some bonding time with my mother which as a child used to be over Chinese checkers.

As I do more and more research on the game, I see it being sold as a learning tool for kids. I think now a days that is how every toy is being sold. Just the other day I watched a commercial about a soccer ball that teaches a baby to talk and

1.       Rather than using standard educational methods…  teach kids numbers and logic by playing a game.
2.       Rather than playing Sudoku alone… have fun while collaborating and cooperating with a friend using teamwork..
3.       Rather than being afraid to ask “why”… challenge each other and change your perspective.
4.       Rather than limiting yourself to black and white numbers…add vibrant 3-D color to your day.
5.       Rather than writing little numbers in squares… set smooth rounded pieces on a large board.
6.       Rather than exercising only your left brain with numbers and logic… engage your right brain at the same time with colors and creativity.
7.       Rather than just seeing and writing… engage your senses with a hands-on tactile experience.
8.       Rather than buying one type of game for kids and another for adults… get a game everyone will enjoy.
9.           Rather than sticking to one game… use your imagination to invent new games.

what Ipad game doesn’t have some sort of lesson for children? That didn’t really interest me at all especially since I don’t have any kids myself. What interested me was when I was on the homepage of the Sukugo site (http://sukugo.com) there was a list of reason’s why I should go on Amazon.com and buy the game. The three out of the nine reasons that caught my eyes were: numbers 2.  Rather than playing Sudoku alone… have fun while collaborating and cooperating with a friend using teamwork, 8.  Rather than buying one type of game for kids and another for adults… get a game everyone will enjoy, and 9.  Rather than sticking to one game… use your imagination to invent new games. Number two pretty much explained throughout this article already but what about numbers eight and nine? Eight I did touch base on a tiny bit but let me go deeper a little. Sudoku is a game known to be played by the older generations or by puzzle nerds like myself so you know you can get adults to play if they play sudoku as for kids it’s a fun new game to play with the family. Imagine your son or daughter opening up that board game under the Christmas tree. As I mentioned he/she might be stumped considering it wasn’t a more known game like Monopoly or Apples to Apples but then you say, “how about we all play together?” If your family is anything like my this game will turn into a full fledge competition to see who can get the most chips on the board or it will become one of those games you get to see who can finish the game the fastest because heaven for bid a board game stays peaceful. Both you as an adult, your kids, and even grandparents can enjoy this game and as I mentioned it might even become a tradition. I did pretty much just explain number nine a little bit. How can you be inventive with a game that is pretty much self- explanatory? Make it a competition! It will become a competition in my family and with my friends. How about changing up the rules like you would with an extreme Sudoku book? In a Sudoku book you can find different ways you have to place the numbers like having the diagonal lines also needing the numbers one through nine or a zig-zag and so forth. Why not pick an extreme Sudoku book with these types of puzzles and make it into a Sukugo game? You can do so much with one board game why not explore a new way to play on the holidays?

            Sukugo, Sudoku for everyone to enjoy after opening up presents. The game you can make a tradition during family time around the table. Sukugo, a game you can enjoy, your kids will enjoy, and your friends can enjoy for the holidays and for holidays to come. Now go buy at least one and then one for your friends who live far away (make it a social networking game). My plan is to do just the same. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Sukugo!

Ok for some reason the pictures aren't showing on my blogger but there were some there. sorry about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment