Thursday, November 22, 2012

post holiday workout!

I know we all are going to splurge a little more than usual this Thanksgiving. Not only that but we are going to be adding on the pounds up until New Years, right? In a 1995 study done by CNN it was indicated that the average person gains 5-10 pounds in the holiday season alone. More recent studies have put the belief aside with new results. According to  The effect of the Thanksgiving Holiday on weight gain by Holly R Hull, Duncan Radley, Mary K Dinger and David A Fields the average person can gain up to .5kg which is 1.1 pounds. I know this may seem small but look at it this way: In an assessment of weight loss in correlation between the holidays done by Meagan Stoner, BS, RD, LD it was found that a person can gain over half of the yearly added weight within the holiday season. Now keep in mind every other holiday you celebrate with food and leisure time and think of every morning after when you get on to the scale and see that extra weight added on then add on the 1.1 pounds from the season and what do you get? I like to think of it this way: for every holiday I celebrate there is a chance of me gaining about .5 pounds. Now considering I am a Jewish American that is a whole lot of holidays to celebrate. I would say that can lead up to a good 17 pounds within the year and if I let myself free with food it can be much more than that. I tell you all of this to honestly just get your attention for the moment. After Thanksgiving you can easily shed the weight you gained the night before and after the holiday season you can keep your weight steady. The question becomes how can I do such a thing? There are two key components to keeping your weight steady. First is your lifestyle and exercise routine and second is what and how you eat. Just remember as you try to keep your weight steady over the holidays that it is a simple task to do so.

Exercise is key component number one. that doesn't mean it is more important than what you eat but it is the easiest aspect to control mentally (at least in my opinion). Tomorrow after I have a delicious Thanksgiving I am first going to go for a beautiful hour long walk. don't over do it right away!!!! although you probably are considering going straight to the gym and packing on the weights or going for an epic run or bike ride please resist for at least 15 minutes and get yourself warmed up first. I like the hour long walk because it also gets me prepared mentally. Starting up strong will just put your muscles into shock and that is never fun. after a warm up then I recommend getting to the weights. In fact if you really don't want to think up a routine many gyms have post thanksgiving workout classes. check out your gym hours for the week and which classes are being offered along with any special they have going on. if that doesn't help look around other gyms. I know you don't want to cheat on your own gym because that is my thought as well but you can get day passes at many other gyms and I think you will be forgiven if it's just a day. As for the actual hard core work out it wouldn't hurt to go for a 5 minute jog or run after your warm up. I have been attempting to create a routine for you but to be honest my creativity skills when it comes to routine creating is lacking. instead I recommend  checking out my friend Melissa's blog post Express Bodyweight Workout. Pick the rendition of your choice  (you get two options) and have fun. I also recommend checking out a new site I just stumbled upon: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/17/advanced-body-weight-workout-warning-this-will-kick-your-ass/.  Myself I will definitely mix up the two different sites. Honestly if you can be creative go for it and if not well follow the instructions or as I mentioned check out the classes in the gym you are a member of or any gym close by. Lastly don't just end it with one workout day after the holiday. Dedicate 30 minutes to an hour just to working out six times a week. This will keep your weight steady even after the holiday season.

As for what you eat, that begins the moment you wake up and decide on what you will eat during the day. Don't act like you don't think about it because you and I both know in your mind you are thinking "maybe I just won't eat to make up for it." my recommendation for that is DON'T DO IT!!!!! Starving will just mess you up big time. if you wanna cleanse out your system do so with the proper cleanse. I still am a big fan of a cleanse especially after the holiday season and for that go to my cleansing expert Annette Borsack with Zen Enterprises Inc. you can find out more about her and how she works at http://www.zenenterprisesinc.com/. If you are looking for a do it yourself kind of routine here are 5 tips you should consider:
  1. Prepare before the holiday- eat lightly before the big meal and DON'T starve yourself.
  2. Enjoy the holiday!- don't just eat during the holidays. Thanksgiving is a day for football, fun and family, which all should be enjoyed throughout the day.
  3. Try not to over-overindulge. Overindulging is not the culprit, going beyond that is. stick to one plate for the meal and no more than one to two desserts. or go with the little bit of everything idea and take half a slice of pumpkin pie and half a slice of the cinnamon swirl bunt cake. 
  4. Next day start of with a healthy breakfast:
                  1 Cup of quinoa
                      2 cups light vanilla almond milk
                      2 cups unsweetened apple juice
                      2 tbl ground cinnamon 
                      1.5 cups  of craisins
                      2 tsp vanilla extract
      5. Eat light throughout the day- eat snack foods like yogurt with fruit or a light protein bar. My favorite protein bar of the day is Perfect Food Bars Cranberry bar. SO YUMMY!!
      6. Stick to a healthy routine of eating 5-6 clean meals a day after the day after routine. Don't be afraid of fats, carbs or proteins and remember to keep a healthy balance of clean, healthy foods. 

I hope that helps you all out. For now I am going to spend my day walking and enjoying the holiday with my family. For dinner I am staying strong with sticking with sugar free. smoked turkey breast, with green beans and mushroom, braised sweet potato and parsnip, and a home made cranberry sauce: 1 Trader Joe's bag of frozen cranberries, about 1.5 TB Seaport Oil & Vinegar red apple balsamic, half a medium sweet onion and stevia to taste. put it all in a pot with water and let it reduce down. Lastly a pumpkin dessert: 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, stevia to taste, vanilla, 1 TB almond/cashew cream, a little bit of egg white, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste, place in oven at 400 for about 20-30 minutes. I am also making a whipped topping and if it works out I will share the recipe. 

Till Next Time! 
Nicoly


No comments:

Post a Comment