Saturday, September 15, 2012

Rosh Hashana 2012

Tomorrow night is the beginning of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. I am celebrating with friends and family here at home and I get to do a little cooking.
Rosh Hashanah as I mentioned is the Jewish New Year. Rosh in Hebrew means head and Hashanah means the new year so the literal translation is head of the year. Like the more known new year Rosh Hashanah is a time to look back at our year and ourselves as a whole and decide where to go from here. next holiday is Yom Kippur which I will write about and I see as a sequel to Rosh Hashanah. For now I will concentrate on one holiday. Rosh Hashanah is a time not only to think and take a look at ourselves but also a time to have one great day. No working or school (although considering finals are coming up soon I may cheat a little), We scarf down sweet foods like pomegranates, apples and honey, delicious round raisin challah and any creative dishes we can think up like a sweet apple raisin kugle my mom has cooked up for tomorrow.
Each Rosh Hashanah for me is important. Every year I think of what I want changed, if I can change it myself and how I can do that. Each year it is pretty much all the same. I usually have the thoughts of wanting to be a better daughter, sister, granddaughter and friend, I want to have the courage to do many things that I should have done the year before and what my new goals and plans are for this year. This year I am adding the Israel National Trail to my list of new things along with start my career as a nutritionist and one goal that I have each year is finding friends and love. So those are my goals.
My next step is thanking Hashem (g-d) for everything. I thank him for my parents who have been spoiling me    all year and for my life, my brothers who are just down right awesome brothers, my grandma who shows me strength each day, the rest of my ginormous family that I have the privilege of enjoying life with, my friends all over the world and letting me learn how to live life through so many different experiences.
Next step is a little selfish. I ask him for help for the next year. Help in giving me courage, help my family and friends, help me find work and well sadly the list goes on so I sum it up in one line "Hashem, Please help me be honorable, committed, and courageous for the life I am meant to live for this next year."
Lastly I make a list of mistakes and faults that I was able to prevent and unable to prevent so on Yom Kippur I know exactly what to tell him.
I recommend every person take these steps. Even if your not Jewish you can do so, you can choose to do it January 1st for the new year or tomorrow for Rosh Hashanah:

1. what do you want to change and how?
2. What are your new goals and ones you have not fulfilled yet?
3.What are you thankful for this year?
4. Ask for help.
5. Make a list of faults to apologize for. You can list them for g-d and for the people in your life. for instance I am really sorry I wake up my parents every morning just to cook. wait for the right moment and say what you need to say.

There it is five steps to creating a new spiritual, emotional year.

I get to do this all while cooking for tomorrow. I have no clue how this is going to work but I am experimenting with a sweet potato stew, eggplant turkey "lasagna" and a salad. I will give you the details of them if it works out.

For now I am almost done cooking for this day and will go to bed to do the same tomorrow till the shofar (rams horn) is blown and everyone comes by to have one hopefully delicious meal.



Till Next Time!
Nicoly


No comments:

Post a Comment